It is quite a sobering statistic. Every year approximately 350,000 people suffer serious injuries from electrical accidents in the home. Nearly 100 people actually die as a result. It’s one of the most common causes of domestic fires, accounting for over half of all fires in the home. The sad thing is that the vast majority of these accidents could have been prevented. Many of these fires in the home, for instance, are brought about by the misuse of electrical products.
As reported by the Manchester Evening News, the Electrical Safety Council has just released a new safety video on YouTube and Facebook to spread awareness of electric safety in the home.
By following a few simple guidelines, you can ensure that you and your family remain safe in your home.
Plugs and Sockets
One common misconception is that just because a four-way adapter has four plug sockets, it is quite safe to plug four appliances into it. This is not entirely true. It really depends on the power required to run each individual item. A general rule of thumb is not to plug in appliances that together use more than the maximum amp rating of the adapter. This will greatly cut the risk of overheating.
Check the plug sockets around your home for any tell-tale signs of scorching. This is an indication of either loose wiring in the socket or another type of fault. A fuse continually blowing every time you plug something into a particular socket is another sign of a wiring fault. Stop using the socket in question until it can be fixed.
Leads and Cables
The positioning of electric cables around the home is one of the most common problems with regard to electric safety, yet is obviously one of the easiest things to remedy. Ensure there are no cables trailing across the floor that could easily be tripped over and never have cables in a position where they are exposed to water or heat.
Cables with broken wires inside are also fairly simple to fix but only by people who know what they are doing. If you are competent at basic electrics, there are many wire strippers available for purchase online. However, you should never attempt anything you are not 100% sure about.
It may sound obvious to only use a fuse that matches the rating of the product in question, but many people still use incorrectly sized fuses. The appliance will usually state what size fuse is required.
Electric current and water are a deadly combination. Keep yourself safe in the bathroom and try to avoid having any power sockets in there. If you do not have central heating and have an electric heater in the bathroom instead, this should be fixed and permanently wired and not powered through a socket.
By following these guidelines and always using common sense when it comes to dealing with electricity, you can ensure the safety of both yourself and your family within your home.